USD is offering a College App Essay Workshop on April 28th, 2018.
This workshop offers students a great opportunity to sharpen and refine their essay-writing skills. A great college app. essay shows the application reader what the applicant is capable of and who they are. Experts acknowledge that while grade point averages, SAT and/or ACT scores and difficulty of the curriculum are important factors in the college admission decision process, a great majority of institutions believe that the essay is of considerable importance in determining which applicant to accept. To put it another way, when all other factors are equal between applicants, a captivating and well-written essay may make the difference.
• Determine which college application prompts most effectively showcase their talents
• Prioritize subjects for discussion through an awareness of their audience’s wants and wishes
• Conclude how an essay can be structured to achieve a purpose
• As a class, engage in co-construction of an essay with the whole class and the instructor via Google docs
• Write, edit and share a draft of their initial college application essay in response to a Common Application prompt
Who Should Attend: All college-bound students will benefit from a thorough review and practice of the college application essay writing process.
Course Format: Lecture and interactive seminar-style classroom instruction.
Instructor: Glenn Morgan, MA
Required Materials: Notepaper/pad, pen/pencil, red highlighter, yellow highlighter and green highlighter.
Optional Materials: Students may bring a personal laptop or tablet for in-class writing. (This is NOT a requirement.)